Friday, March 31, 2017

Book Review | Bunnicula by James Howe




3 STARS ★ ★ ★



Bunnicula is book #1 out of 7 books in the book series: Bunnicula by James Howe.

In book one, Bunnicula: A Rabbit-Tale of Mystery, of the children's series we are introduced to the Monroe family that include parents Anne and Robert and their two sons Pete and Toby.

The book begins with the family coming home one stormy night after seeing Dracula at the theater. When they get home Harold their pet dog and Chester the family's pet cat recognizes them family carrying some odd small bundle that turns out to be a rabbit that they found at the theater and decided to adopt naming him Bunnicula based on his looks and since they found him at the movie Dracula.

Shortly after Bunnicula's arrival the family and pets noticed their vegetables mysteriously turning white and having two bite marks in them. The overdramatic cat Chester immediately becomes convinced that Bunnicula must be a vampire and sets out on an adventure to stop Bunnicula before anymore harm is done.

     I remember seeing this book in school when I was younger but never got around to reading it so after watching the new Cartoon Network series loosely based off the book I decided to read it finally.

I found James Howe's writing good considering it's a children's book. I really enjoyed the relationship between Harold and Chester. They was very funny!

I had a few nit picks which was that I thought the story at times had filler parts and that the ending was quickly wrapped up, which I didn't like since the book was pretty short.

Also another nit pick was that Harold at the beginning seemed smart then towards the middle of the book went to the dumb dog stereotype, it was almost like the author decided to change his character mid book? I could be be wrong but it seemed that way to me.

I didn't care too much for the illustrations either but I'm sure the younger audience wouldn't mind.

Overall the book was enjoying and I want to see what happens next with the Monroe family and pets :)


Follow me on all my social medias below:

No comments:

Post a Comment